Development

My App Store Rejection Story

This week we received our third rejection notice (in a row) for the first update of Bear on a Wire - Free Ride. It's closing in on two months since the update was originally submitted and it's becoming very frustrating.

PoorBear is in Beta

We put out the beta version of PoorBear today to let people begin testing it. It has been a long time coming and I have been sidetracked a couple times during development but after another long night last night I think it is at a good point to begin testing. The game is short right now, only three levels, but I mainly want to get some good feedback on the gameplay and controls.

PoorBear: Tricks

Quick update to follow up on my promise of a new video clip. This is a short clip that shows off a couple trick animations, a crash sequence and a background music track.

Generating Collision Detection Vertices From Images

I have been working on adding tricks to PoorBear over the last week. Trevor has sent us a ton of crazy animations for tricks (I will try and throw up a video preview of some of them soon) as a result, I was in desperate need of a way to generate collision verts in a manner other than plotting them by hand (yeah, I plotted and translated the verts for one animation by hand and it took about an hour). I will go over the method I used to solve this problem

PoorBear Development Progress

We posted a new video of PoorBear today. We added in some graphics Trevor sent over last week and added a couple new gameplay features. We are working on logic to recognize tricks like wheelies and flips and have added in an item collection system.

Project PoorBear

Our little iPhone game has changed a lot since my last post about it. We are calling it Poor Bear for now and we have a theme and some animations for it along with the beginnings of a story. You can get a quick overview of our progress so far from the article we posted over on the Dreamsocket site. Or you can check out a short video of this stage of development below along with the slick video player (free download) we built using our Media Framework.

Dreamsocket.com Released

The majority of my time over the past several months was spent on the development of Dreamsocket.com. It was a huge project and an equally huge learning experience. When I started I had no idea about many of the basic concepts of website development. I had never used PHP, Javascript, CSS, and had always tried to stay away from HTML in general. I am not sure I would have been able to pull it all off if we had not chosen Drupal to build the site with.

First iPhone Game in Development

I am in the process of developing my first iPhone game when time allows. Being my first, it is intended to be very simple. The basic goal so far is to drive a little vehicle over rough terrain and reach the end without flipping over. To avoid flipping you must tilt the device to either side which affects the vehicle's body angle. We may add a few other gameplay elements to make it more interesting as we move forward but we want to keep it simple.

Using ASDoc with ANT and Eclipse

Using ASDoc can be fairly confusing at first since there is not much documentation out there. I will go over several things I learned from using it with ANT in Eclipse. I will not cover the syntax of in-code comments as that part is documented well; I will cover the specifics of using ASDoc with ANT build scripts.